Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport (FLL)
History, Facts and Overview
(Fort Lauderdale, Florida - FL, USA)
Opened in 1929 as the Merle Fogg Airport, named after a famous pioneer aviator of that time, Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood Airport was used mainly for small planes. Renamed during the war years as NAS Fort Lauderdale, the airport was acquired by Broward County in the mid-1940s and became the Broward County International Airport.
The following decade saw regular flights to Nassau, a new passenger terminal and a major relaunch, when the airport was officially given its current title as the Fort Lauderdale Hollywood International Airport (FLL). By 1970, passenger levels had exceeded one million per annum, rising steadily over the years and topping ten million in the mid-1990s.
Current facilities at Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood Airport are comprehensive and meet a wide range of passenger needs. Highlights include rental luggage carts, phone cards, a meditation room, free wireless Internet access, staffed airport business centers and Federal Express drop-off boxes in both Terminal 1 and 3. ADA services are available for Fort Lauderdale passengers with special needs and disabilities, while the FLLight Deck in Terminal 3 offers information screens and great views of the planes taking off.
In total, Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood Airport is home to around 45 different restaurants and shops. The main stores include CNBC News and Gifts, Discovery Channel Airport Store, Duty Free Shop, Hudson News, Paradies, Pernell Shoe Shine and Vito's Market Kiosk. For a bite to eat at FLL, consider the Boathouse II Bar, Cheeburger-Cheeburger, Cruzan Isle Bar, Dunkin' Donuts, Keywest Bar, Nathan's Famous or Spinaci's Italian.